Just some background history to our property and some of the neighbouring properties in our valley. From our very clever Maremma dog Jasper’s personal blog.
Greeting loyal readers and fellow maremmas. Last weekend, mummy went on a house and garden tour to one of the oldest houses in the area. The site has been lived on since the early 1840’s, which in terms of New Zealand history is an eternity. It was first owned by Dr Allison, The following is from: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District] Farmers, Old Settlers etc.
“Allison, (Dr.) James, Sheepfarmer, Wanganui. This pioneer colonist landed in Wellington in 1840, afterwards settling in Wanganui, where he remained seven years. He then removed to the South Island, taking up a sheep-run in the Wairau Valley. In 1855 he sold out and again came to the Wanganui District. Twelve years later he left the Colony to visit the Old Country, but died on the voyage.”
Now this got mummy thinking about our house. Not a lot is known…
View original post 252 more words
One thought on “Our House”
Woof! Big fans of the big woofs ( and cool house/history)