I have wanted to include a unit of Volunteer and Auxiliary Cavalry in my British force for some time but various reasons – mainly cost and other spending priorities, has put this on the back burner. However, I splashed out and ordered some Empress dismounted volunteer and auxiliary cavalry from Nathan at Elite Miniatures Australia. While waiting for them to arrive I decided that of course that meant that I needed to represent these guys in their mounted form as well. So…I decided to give converting a go.
I looked through the lead/plastic mountain and found a box of Perry ACW Cavalry. I also had sprues of Warlord Games British infantry and Natal Native Contingent available, along with a tube of really old greenstuff.
These guys came out a bit huckery in places but on the whole I was happy enough with the outcome considering it was a two day job. I made four Natal Mounted Police, four Natal Carbineers, two Newcastgle Mounted Riflemen and two Buffalo Border Guard.
The horses were used as is. The tack and harness is not exactly Zulu Wars Imperial but I could live with that.
Bodies were mostly used as is, with some tunic lengthening and ration bags added with greenstuff. Helmets and hats came from Warlord Zulu Wars British infantry and cartridge belts from their plastic Natal Native Contingent sprue. I also took the odd NNC hand and rifle as well. Not the greatest conversions but I think will pass muster on the tabletop and three feet of distance.
And a Redoubt Miniatures Col. Durnford to lead them. I couldn’t remember what colour his uniform in the movie Zulu Dawn was so just went with the blue-grey tunic. Might get another Durnford at some stage and paint up as Burt Lancaster.