A long long time ago in a galaxy far away you used to be able to field Snotling armies in Warhammer. I never actually saw one but thought the idea was cute so started assembling a collection of Snotlings. Of course they sat boxed and in the case of the pump wagon, in pieces. I think I have one of the older Pump Wagons as well as another of the newer ones as well – I just couldn’t find them.
I have based these for Kings of War where they do duty as Orclings – a close relative of Snotlings but they branched off the orcish family tree when they cross-bred with an IP Lawyer.
First off a “regiment” sized unit – six 40mm square bases. All I did with these was black undercoat, a goblin green dry brush and some green ink – then picked out weapons and loin cloths. Didn’t bother with eyes or such.
The pictures were taken on the kitchen table because it was too damn cold to go over to the Woolshed with them. At least it wasn’t raining.
This “regiment” is based on a single base using an old GW Pump Wagon as a unit filler.
OK – I have been accused of being an internet troll. This time those detractors are right. Three Games Workshop Stone Trolls. These guy s were heavily chipped and required some touch up paint. Other than that I just slopped some washes on and redid the bases and made a movement tray for them. Happy with how these guys turned out.
Before and after (not exactly the same figure)
I am hoping that someone can tell me what manufacturer made this figure. He seems a bit different to my Warhammer Stone Trolls so I am assuming he is not a GW figure. The tab has been filed clean so there are no identifying marks.
These are the first two regiments of Black Orcs that I have based on ‘regimental bases’. I titled this post Heavy Metal Orcs – and there is a good reason. Each of these bases weighs 400g. That is 800g for a 20 figure regiment. The figures are mounted ten to a base. I made the bases 125mm wide and 60mm deep. The extra 10mm depth allows a bit of leeway with ranking these rather bulky figures up.
These are part of a second hand lot I brought about twelve years ago, give or take.
These figures have not been repainted or touched up – just re-based. I am still pretty happy how they have turned out. Way better than twenty individually based miniatures.
A re-based Orc General. This guy has been rebased only. Based him on larger base because I prefer generals to stand out a bit from regular figures of their ‘type’ – in this case a boar rider. So, he is either an Orc Big Boss or a Kings of War Krudger. Damned IP issues.
The Orc Refurbishment Project kicks off. The first unit is this one of ten Boar Boyz. They were originally painted back in mid-2000s when my son was about seven or eight and we worked on them together. They languished on half done bases, with arms and shields falling off from the rough treatment they received having being jumbled into a box. This was the easiest unit to start with as all I had to do was reattach broken off arms and shield and tart up the bases – which were plain unpainted plastic.